Monday, August 27, 2012

Reminder/Ten Bets/Master/Sessions/Late Breaking/Questions

Good Monday to Everyone...It's Telluride #39 week!  First film in 4 more days...Transport leaves the dock in 3!

REMINDER



If you're reading this blog remember that you're invited to a blog-centric wing ding on Friday at 5:00 pm at The River Club at 550 Depot in Telluride.  We'll get together and talk a little, visit, schmooze...have a little vino and maybe a nibble...It's the Second Annual(?) Guide to the 'Ride; Flow of the SHOW so we might also mention this film festival that's about to happen.


TEN BETS



Some changes this week...because I think I've tuned into some pretty reliable information...

Last week's "Ten Bets":


This week's "Ten Bets":

1) Rust and Bone
2) Hyde Park on Hudson
3) Midnight's Children
4) Amour
5) No
6) The Iceman
7) The Central Park Five
8) Bromberg's Chaplin
9) On the Road
10) Beyond the Hills


This week's "Ten Bets"  (and maybe my last "Ten Bets" post before the festival kicks off on Friday...though I might do updates as this week progresses...depends what I turn up).

1) Rust and Bone
2) Hyde Park on Hudson
3) Midnight's Children
4) The Central Park Five
5) Frances Ha
6) Ginger and Rosa
7) No
8) The Iceman
9) Bromberg's Chaplin
10) Amour


"On the Road" and "Beyond the Hills" fall off the "Ten Bets" into the 30+ that could play category.  They'd be in the "Ten More Bets section...which..OK...here it is (though I told myself I wasn't going to do "Ten More Bets" this year)

Ten More Bets

11) Argo
12) Rainy Day Tales
13) Something in the Air
14) The Sapphires
15) Beyond the Hills
16) Song for Marion
17) Ernest and Celestine
18) To the Wonder (I know I'm crazy to put the Malick here...but some smart peeps think it's possible)
19) The Hunt
20) Hannah Arendt

PS...looks like Jeff Wells is pretty sure about Brain DePalma's "Passion":
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/kabuki_mask.php

THE MASTER



You all know that this is my "Great white whale" for this year's "serious" movie season and if you read this blog much, you also know that I've been hoping that it would somehow make an appearance this week in the San Juans.  Further, you know that I don't really think that there's much of a chance that is likely to happen.  Nevertheless, hope springs...

So here's a nifty analytical piece from Move City News' David Poland..who makes a good point...a lot has been written, but not very much actual critique...aversion to spoilers, perhaps?  read Poland's piece...see what you think:

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/08/whos-afraid-of-the-big-good-master/


THE SESSIONS



#2 on my list of films that I have been hoping would be programmed is Ben Lewin's "The Sessions".  It also isn't a likely pick as it premiered at Sundance.  But, you know, maybe...

It stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy...all of whom have gotten some Oscar buzz.  It's distributor Fox Searchlight started to turn up the heat for it this last week in prep for its announced screening in Toronto.  Look at these posts from Fox Searchlight and Thompson on Hollywood:

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/5249

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/new-poster-for-the-sessions-pushes-oscar-agenda#


QUESTIONS



As I get down to the last couple of weeks before the SHOW each year, I start to wonder about whether to include films that have cropped up on my radar and in my research that aren't "name" films.  I have 2-3 right now that I'm suspicious about but are also the result of some pretty big deductive leaps on my part.  For now, I'm keeping quiet...but I also have the temptation to spill titles because if they do end up being announced on Thursday afternoon...I'd look really, really brilliant or equally stupid.

So, I'm keeping my piehole closed here.  I will say Irish for one and indie horror short for the other.  I'll let you know...after the SHOW.

LATE BREAKING

Documentary "Love, Marilyn" expected to play this weekend in Telluride via Jeff Wells/Hollywood Elsewhere:
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/garbus_monroe.php

More later...

Follow me on Twitter @Gort2.

"Like" Michael's Telluride Film Blog on Facebook.

No comments: