Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pictures of Carnage/Melancholia Happens/Companies/More Marlon

Hope everyone has started off the weekend well.  To my friends in LA...hope you are surviving "CARMAGEDDON!!!!"

PICTURES FROM CARNAGE (NOT CARMAGEDDON)

Still via The Playlist

The Playlist put up some stills from Roman Polanski's "Carnage" this week and I thought I'd pass them along.  "Carnage" is based on Yasmina Reza's stage play "God of Carnage" and features Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly.

I think that the chances of "Carnage" being at Telluride are about 1 in 3.  And the reason the odds are even that good are because it's on Sony Pictures Classic's slate of fall films.  So I have to at least consider it.

As I have said here before, you know Polanski won't accompany the film here because of his on-going legal problems.  I could see Jodie Foster there to represent the film as she was a tributee in 1991.  That would be cool.

The "Carnage" pix and accompanying story at The Playlist are here:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/meet_the_leads_of_roman_polanskis_carnage/

"Carnage" IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/companycredits

LARS' MELANCHOLY

I have been really pouring cold water on the notion that we'd see Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia" at The SHOW this year since his infamous press blunder at Cannes and his subsequent banishment as persona non grata from that festival in May.  but I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that there is still a small chance that the film could play in Telluride.

Clearly there wasn't a massive backlash against Von Trier or the film as Kirsten Dunst won Best Actress at Cannes.  Additionally, as I have reported before, Von Trier has often had films in Telluride's lineup. So let's not dismiss it out of hand.

Well, now the film has a release date.  The Playlist at Indiewire reporting that it will open on Nov. 11.

I have a reader who confidently tells me that Von Trier doesn't fly...so, much like "Carnage" you have to wonder who'd accompany the film.  My guess would be Charlotte Gainsbourg.

The Playlist story is here:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/lars_von_triers_melancholia_will_end_the_world_with_sadness_on_november/

The "Melancholia" IMDb page is here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/

COMPANIES ON PARADE

Icon Film Distribution has had  a couple of films that have played as part of the Telluride Film Festival in recent years. 
"Hunger" in 2008 and "The Road" in 2009.

They have a hand this year in the Jack Kerouac inspired "On the Road"...so maybe it gets a little bump in the "it's possible" department.
Could we see Angelina Jolie at the Labor Day Picnic?

GK Films hasn"t really been a player at Telluride but has connections to 2-3 properties that might see their bow at in the San Juans on Labor Day weekend. 
From most likely to least likely they are:
Angelina Jolie's directing and writing debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey," (IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714209/ )
Bruce Robinson's "The Rum Diary" featuring Johnny Depp in the Hunter Thompson-esque role (IMDb  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/ )
and Martin Scorsese's "Hugo." (IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/ )

MORE MARLON

Last week I posted my picture with screen legend Marlon Brando and recounted the story of how I met him in 1978 in my last year of college.  I mentioned that I had a couple of other pictures of the two time Oscar winner.  Well, I found them and since there seemed to be a good deal of curiosity, here they are.  Now, I'm not in these.  These were a couple of pics that are sort of hard to believe on their own.  They show Brando exiting the rear of the camper that he and the couple he had with him were travelling in.  You read it right...camper...ON THE BACK OF A PICKUP...look for yourself:

Marlon Brando Goes Camping?

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!

No comments: