Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Topping the Chinese/Schnabel's Got Depp/Dream Team

Good Morning from Santa Fe!

We're heading home today after a whirlwind "vacation" here in northern New Mexico.  Hate to leave, but things to do.

TOPPING THE CHINESE

The Long and Winding Road that leads to the Olympics?

I've mentioned in this space that Telluride favorite, director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours) has an unenviable next project.  Boyle is directing the ceremonies for the Summer Olympics in London next year.  I like Danny Boyle.  He's a clever, inventive director (and writer too).  He's always been very pleasant as he's presented his work at TFF in 2008 and last year.  I've gotten to rub shoulders and speak with him a couple of times as we've crossed paths at the Telluride Film Festival.  So, I was concerned that he was in a no win situation for him in this endeavor.  The Chinese in 2008 set the bar so incredibly high that I (and I'm sure many others) believed that whoever accepted this gig was starting from the bottom of an insurmountable mountain. 

Now comes word that Boyle and the London Olympic folks may be putting the pieces in place to present one of the few things that could electrify the world at the same level that the Chinese achieved 3 years ago.
"What could that possibly be?" you ask.  The Wrap has the potential answer...

Can you say "Fab  Four"?  Or, perhaps more accurately, the Fab Two and the closest thing we can get to the other two that are no longer with us.  The Wrap reports that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr would potentially be joined by Julian Lennon or Sean Lennon and Dhani Harrison to perform as part of the Olympic ceremonies.

You can read The Wrap's story here:
http://www.thewrap.com/media/article/report-beatles-reunion-works-2012-olympic-games-28962

Can you say (sing) "Let it Be"?

 SCHANBEL AND DEPP

The Playlist has the story that Julian Schnabel may have his next film project to develop and that it includes collaboration with Johnny Depp.  Schnabel has also been a Telluride participant.  He presented his best film "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" at Telluride in 2007 and has also been the festival's poster artist in the past.

Last year I was somewhat surprised that his "Miral" wasn't part of TFF#37.  I was relatively certain that it would be.  But nope.  Now comes news that Schnabel has a new film project that re-pairs him with his "Before Night Falls" star Johnny Depp.  The proposed project would pair the two in an adaptation of the Nick Tosches book "In the Hand of Dante". 

As you might expect from the title, the focus, in part, on Dante's "Divine Comedy".  The tenor of the story suggests that neither man is in a big hurry to get the project adapted and made and Depp has at least 2-3 films lined up currently including his expected turn as Tonto in "The Lone Ranger".  So don't expect to see this at TFF #39  or maybe 40...or...well, who knows.  But you have to believe that if it DOES get made, it would be a prime possibility for Labor Day in the San Juans (unless, of course, there's any bad blood over the "Miral" exclusion from last year).

The Playlist story is here:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/exclusive_julian_schnabel_planning_in_the_hand_of_dante_with_johnny_depp/

DREAM TEAM
Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe in "My Week with Marilyn"

Yesterday's post included a list of a few films that we have on our Telluride film list.  Today I'm flinging out into the Universe my wish list for individuals that I'd love to see on Colorado Avenue in September.

And I make no apology about still be entirely star struck.  Maybe that makes me uncool.  But I'm still stunned when I see, stand by, or exchange words with some of the people that I've run into in the last five years.  Passing words with Oscar nominees/winners like Boyle, Laura Linney, James Franco, Sean Penn, and  Jason Reitman (to shamelessly name drop) has been one of the highlights of my festival experience so forgive me my adolescent joy at being in the same room as Daniel Day-Lewis, Ed Harris, Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.

All that aside, who would I love to see, bump into, pass words with at this year's SHOW?  I've tried to limit the list to those people who have at least a scintilla of a chance to have a film there ( and I realize that it all won't happen and that Telluride often has the director of a film on hand rather than any of the talent, but a guy can dream...right?)

This isn't a complete list, but a first pass.  I'm sure I'll add to it over the next six weeks as we get closer to Labor Day.

Meryl Streep/The Iron Lady
Glenn Close/Albert Nobbs
George Clooney/The Descendants and/or The Ides of March
Philip Seymour Hoffman/Moneyball
Brad Pitt/Moneyball (I'd like to talk to him about his connections to Oklahoma)
Colin Firth/Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Gary Oldman/Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Charlize Theron/Young Adult
Ralph Fiennes/Coriolanus
Vanessa Redgrave/Coriolanus
Michelle Williams/My Week with Marilyn
Jodie Foster/Carnage
Kate Winslet/Carnage
Christoph Waltz/Carnage
and, of course, my girl friend, Laura Linney...

Later!

No comments: