Friday, August 23, 2013

Ten (+) Bets #9/Connecting Some Dots/And Also a New Trailer/Invitations

Good Friday Everyone...No more Fridays left before TFF #40 takes flight!

TEN (+) BETS #9



This will be the next to last "Ten Bets" for this iteration of the Telluride Film Festival.  I'll post a "Final Ten (+) Bets on Wednesday morning before the lineup is announced.

Last Week's "Ten (+) Bets":

1) Nebraska
2) Labor Day
3) The Invisible Woman
4) Inside Llewyn Davis
5) All is Lost
6) The Unknown Known
7) Gravity
8) The Past
9) The Immigrant
10) The Story of Children and Film
11) 12 Years a Slave
12) Blue is the Warmest Color
13) The Lunchbox
14) Daughter of the Dawn
15) Enough Said

This week's "Ten (+) Bets":

1) Nebraska
2) Labor Day
3) Inside Llewyn Davis
4) All is Lost
5) The Unknown Known
6) The Past
7) The Invisible Woman
8) Gravity
9) 12 Years a Slave
10) Blue is the Warmest Color
11) The Immigrant
12) Palo Alto
13) The Story of Children and Film
14) Daughter of the Dawn
15) Prisoners


Other Films with very real chances to play: "The Lunchbox", "Enough Said", "How I Live Now", "Le Weekend", "Burning Bush",  "The Armstrong Lie", "Jodorowsky's Dune", "Tim's Vermeer", "Life Itself", "Aguirre: The Wrath of God", "Gloria", "Child's Pose", "You Are Here", "Only Lovers Left Alive", "For No Good Reason" and "Philomena".

CONNECTING SOME DOTS



I'm at that place I get to every year.  Pretty convinced I've got a solid hook on many of the films that will play.  There is stuff I know and have been able to share.  There is stuff that I know that I can't and maybe won't be able to share.  There is stuff that I'm guessing at...but they're pretty good guesses and then there are some guesses that are really just that...a stab in the dark.

Then there are still the things that I'd like to have happen and I'm fairly confident will not: "Zero Theorem", "Counselor", "Fifth Estate", "Foxcatcher".  But I can't complain in the least.  First of all, if I get even half of this right the 40th Telluride Film Fest is going to be EPIC!  The kicker is, I'm feeling good about having more than half of it right.

Then there's this:

I passed along yesterday that Telluride.com had posted a"Special Events" calendar for the Fest and that it included a 5:00pm Wed. (Aug. 28) evening "Special Anniversary Event" at the Town Park Stage.

Yesterday the Telluride Planet tweeted:

"@TellurideFilm presents The Punch Brothers Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Town Park to open 40th Annual TFF"

Now, that information by itself is fascinating.  But what if reminded you that The Punch Brothers will be heard on a certain soundtrack soon to be forthcoming?  A soundtrack focused on the folk music scene of the early 60's.  Would you be more interested.  I know I am.

Of course I'm referencing the soundtrack to the Coen Brothers upcoming "Inside Llewyn Davis" (#3 on this week's "Ten (+) Bets").  

Add to all of this the earlier in the week announcement that T-Bone Burnett and a bunch of the artists making up the soundtrack will be doing an NYC concert on Sept. 29th which will include cast members from the film...well..

When I let my imagination run wild, I picture a show on Wednesday night that includes more than The Punch Brothers...  The New York Concert lineup is listed on the poster above.  Look at the names...

It's a head spinning possibility.  

Maybe it is The Punch Brothers alone...and that would be very, very cool...but you have to wonder...



AND ALSO A NEW TRAILER



And amid all of my frothing to and fro yesterday to connect the dots about the "Special Event"...came the news that there was a new "Llewyn Davis" trailer.

I've linked you to a post from The Playlist that will let you view it.  I, personally, have chosen not to watch it.  It's said to be a little "spoiler-y" and I'm so sure that we're going to be able to see it next week, that I'm now actively avoiding looking at anymore of it until I'm in a theater with Joel and Ethan and...well..who knows...

But here's the link for those that are interested:




INVITATIONS



I really hope you all will join me for the following:

1) "THE GUIDE"-Come and visit, talk a little film, have a beverage and a nosh at The 3rd "Guide to the Ride".  It's an opportunity for us all to get together before the serious business of watching film until our heads spin.  "The Guide" will be hosted by Mitzi and Larry Mallard at The River Club in Telluride (550 Depot) at 5:00 pm on Thursday, Aug. 29.

Seriously, come and join us...it'll be fun.

2) RATE THE FILMS- For the second year MTFB is calling on you readers to share your impressions of the films you chose to watch during Labor Day weekend.  I call it "The People's Telluride".  Rate what you see on a 0-5 scale and send those ratings to me.  Email, DM, Facebook...whatever.  I'll collect and collate and report to everyone the week after the Festival concludes.  Also don't forget to check out "The Critic's Telluride".  Some very kind and generous people have agreed to rate the films they see as well:

Alex Billington/First Showing
Scott Feinberg/The Hollywood Reporter
Scott Foundas/Variety
Eric Kohn/IndieWire
Eugene Novikov/Film Blather
Sasha Stone/Awards Daily
Kristopher Tapley/HitFix/InContention

I have feelers out and would like to snag a couple of more of the "pros".  We'll see.

3) Bebop over to Screencraft.org (www.screencraft.org) during the fest.  I'll be posting there as well.  A daily summary of what is going on, impressions of the films I see and the buzz about the weekend.

More tomorrow as I post the Best of the Week as well as pre-festival Oscar speculation...

Follow/Like Michael's Telluride Film Blog on Facebook.

Follow me on Twitter @Gort2



No comments: