Monday, March 29, 2021

Bertrand Tavernier 1941-2021 / News from a Reader / Updated Cannes List

BERTRAND TAVERNIER 1941-2021


Bertrand Tavernier at the Telluride Film Festival



French film maker Bertrand Tavernier died last Thursday a month shy of his 80th birthday.  Tavernier was a member of TFF's "Esteemed Council of Advisors" and had been for some time.  The first mention I can find for him as a member of the Council of Advisors is in the 1996 program.

Tavernier was guest director for the festival in 1990.  As director he programmed Pursued and Justin de Marseille.  He also presented a restoration of Jean Vigo's L'Atalante.  Tavernier returned to Telluride in 1993 with L627.  Life at Any Cost (Life and Nothing But) screened in 1998 and The Princess of Montpensier screened in 2010.

Tavernier last film to be featured as a part of the TFF program was 2016's My Journey Through French Cinema.  Prior to that Tavernier's Life at Any Cost (Life and Nothing But) screened in 1998; The Princess of Montpensier screened in 2010.

Tavernier won the BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language in 1990 for Life at Any Cost.  Previously he had been nominated for that same award in 1985 for A Sunday in the Country which also earned him Best Directing honors at the Cannes Film Festival.

He was a 15 time Cesar Award nominee and won four:
 
Let Joy Reign Supreme (Screenwriting) in 1976, 
The Judge and the Assassin (Screenwriting) in 1977
A Sunday in the Country (Screenwriting) in 1985
Captain Conan (Directing) in 1997







NEWS FROM A READER




Over the past few months I have occasionally received inquiries asking if I've heard anything about whether TFF #48 is going to happen, or if the Fest is going to sell more passes. Questions like that.  And the truth is that the answer is no.  I have known zip.  I wish I could tell you different.  Wish I had some inside scoop.  But no.  Nothing.  Until this past week.

I received a DM from a reader that's interesting. The conundrum I have now is deciding how much to divulge and that's tricky.  There have items that I have posted in this space before that have not gone over well with some of the fest folks.  It's happened enough that I think about that possible reaction when I run across some tidbit of info and try to decide if or how I should write about it.

So, I'm splitting the difference here.  I won't go into the details of the message but I will say that the gist of the DM makes me think that Fest organizers have a good deal of confidence that the Fest will move forward as planned over Labor Day weekend.  


UPDATED CANNES LIST




World of Reel's Jordan Ruimy remains on the job in terms of trying to ascertain what is happening with the Cannes Film Festival and what could be screening there whenever it does happen (June? July? September? October?).

Jordan posted over the weekend that he had come across a lengthy list of films speculated for Cannes from a site called Spoiler Movies.  From that list he has added to an original list of his from Feb. 8th that I referenced in my post of Feb. 11th.



EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com

TWITTER @TheMTFB OR @Gort2 

MTFB is published on Mondays and Thursdays

No comments: