Monday, March 22, 2021

The Way Ahead? / "Soggy Bottom" Has a Date / Spring Cleaning

 THE WAY AHEAD?


In a normal year, I'd have made a hard turn from Oscar related stuff into serious tea-leaf reading about the possible films that we could see at TFF #48.  The Oscars would have happened two-three weeks back and as such, I'd be knee deep in trying to parse spec pieces about possible Oscar players for the coming year.  Which ones feel like TFF film choices?  I'd be eye-balling stories about possible Cannes selections and which of them might make the Cannes/Telluride double play? 

But, as you know, it's still not a normal year.  Oscar is still five weeks away.  Cannes plans are still unsettled.  Maybe a version of that fest happens in July.  Maybe it gets pushed to an even later date.  So, speculation about what films might end up as a Cannes selection is a sea of shifting sand.

Nevertheless, I was perusing the internet for items of interest to this blog and came across a post that included some early thoughts on films that could be potential films for Oscar talk at the end of 2021.  So, using that as a jumping off point, I've snagged some of those titles as worth at least thinking about as far as a TFF #48 play might be concerned.  I've opted to list these alphabetically.

Bergman Island
Blonde
The Card Counter
Don't Look Up
Dune
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
The French Dispatch
The Last Duel
Next Goal Wins
Nightmare Alley
Petite Maman
The Power of the Dog
Soggy Bottom
Stillwater
The Tragedy of MacBeth

Some of the above have a really good chance of being Telluride films (Card Counter, Bergman Island, Power of the Dog).  Others (Soggy Bottom, The French Dispatch, Dune) seem less likely.


SOGGY BOTTOM HAS A DATE


Bradley Cooper on the set of "Soggy Bottom" (via World of reel)



Of interest regarding "Soggy Bottom", which is still officially the "Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project", is the announcement this past week that the film has an announced release date.  World of Reel reports the film is set for release on Sept. 10th which gives it time to play at Cannes (maybe), Venice (maybe) and/or Telluride.  The date makes a bow at Toronto unlikely but not impossible, as TIFF starts on Sept. 9th.  



SPRING CLEANING




I've written about this a couple of times before.  I have a folder in the email account that I primarily use as the conduit for the news I think might be handy to have for the blog.  Every now and then I clean it out.  

I still have emails in the folder that date from as early as 2014...because you never know when an announced project will actually get up and go.  The earliest thing in there right now is announcements that Brit director Steve McQueen's next project would be a Paul Robeson biopic.  That project is still listed on my IMDb Pro account as a "project in development".

Anyway, Among the emails I just removed were tidbits for TFF selections The Way I See It, Charlatan, Mainstream, Judy and current Oscar frontrunner Nomadland.

I also dumped emails that at various points I had saved regarding The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mank, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and 1917 among others.

So what else is still sitting in there?  The most recent announcements that I have culled are for:

The Ploughman
The Pale Blue Eye
Exit West
The Killer
White Noise
Being the Ricardos
Babylon
A Hero
Maestro

Lots more... 



EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com

TWITTER @TheMTFB OR @Gort2 

MTFB is published on Mondays and Thursdays




No comments: