Thursday, September 8, 2011

Looking Back/Looking Ahead

LOOKING BACK



The 38th Telluride Film Festival is in the books and I am reminded again that I still have a long way to go insofar as this prediction business goes.  In the maelstrom of the last week before the festival there is so much rumor and wishful thinking from an incredible variety of sources.  Additionally, the festival organizers are still incredibly good at keeping a tight lid on what's going to play.  Further, judgment is always clouded by wishful thinking (at least mine is).

You take a look at the final Twenty Bets list and compare it to what actually made the program(denoted with ***):



1) The Descendants***
2) Into the Abyss***
3) We Have to Talk About Kevin***
4) The Ides of March (fell through because of commitments to Toronto)
5) A Dangerous Method***
6) Shame***
7) Goodbye First Love***
8) The Skin I Live In
9) The Artist***
10) Footnote***
11) A Trip to the Moon***
12) The Birds Upstairs***
13) Prohibition
14) Le Havre***
15) The Lady
16) Dark Horse
17) Butter***
18) Miss Bala
19) Drive
20) Martha Marcy May Marlene (note: again no Sundance title played Telluride)



I also had 5 more that I was pulling for: "Coriolanus," "The Kid with a Bike,"*** "Wuthering Heights" "W.E." and the George Harrison Doc*** directed by Martin Scorsese.

So, 8 of the top ten,  11 of my top 14 12 of top 20 (and a couple of extras on the extra five).

Films on the program that I mentioned at some point along the way but were not in the final 20-25:

Albert Nobbs (I almost count this as one I actually got...I first had it on the T-ride watch list on the first pass at trying to see TFF#38 back on Mar. 5th).

A Separation

The Turin Horse

Going way back to the March 5th original TFF #38 post, here's what I took a stab at that showed up 6 months later:
The Descendants, Shame, Albert Nobbs, and A Dangerous Method.

Of course I also included: The Ides of March, Young Adult, Amour, Moneyball, One Day, Wuthering Heights, Chicken with Plums, The Congress, The Exchange, The Skin I Live In, My Week with Marilyn and Coriolanus...

I'll keep plugging away...

LOOKING AHEAD



For those who have followed the blog for awhile, you know that the focus now shifts to the analysis of how and which and why TFF#38 films will be involved in the Film Awards season...and we'll start to take a look at that journey in tomorrow's post...

Later, Taters!

No comments: