Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Final 25 Bets for TFF #45 Will Be Posted Tomorrow / A New Attraction at MTFB / A TFF #45 Poster Appears / The Pros Are Lined Up / The People's Telluride

Good Tuesday to everyone.  If you're getting ready to head to Telluride...safe travels.  If you're already there...I'm a little jealous...


THE FINAL 25 BETS FOR TFF #45 WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW!



Make sure to catch a special Wednesday edition of Michael's Telluride Film Blog tomorrow as I will post the final 25 Bets for this year's lineup.


A NEW ATTRACTION AT MTFB



Over that last year and a half you have probably noticed that I have been periodically posting sections that review past Telluride Film Festivals.  The project started in April 2017 but it was spurred by a chance glance at TFF #43 (2016).

I was walking down Colorado Ave. on the way to a screening at The Zog and noticed an array of past TFF programs at the Telluride Gallery of Fine Art.  Every TFF program from #1 to #43 were in a window display there.  I pulled my camera out and started taking pics.

And I had an idea.  For a long I have had a page called "Selected TFF History" which thumbnails fests from the beginning.  Standing in front of that collection of programs, I thought that if a guy had access to those, he might be able to put together a more substantial historical review of TFF from the beginning and so a mission was born.

That mission has played out since April of 2017 with sporadic (in reverse chronological order) posts for each festival from 2005 back to 1974.  I chose to begin with 2005 because you can find links to every program from 2006 to the present at the official Telluride Film Fest site.

The next part of the mission is completed today as I have collected those posts into two separate pages.  If you'll look at the top of this post you'll see tabs for TFF for 1974-1995 and another for 1996-Present.

I've done my best to chronicle as many of the films that screened each year as well as Tributes, Guest Directors and the famous that were in attendance.  It's not meant to be an exhaustive accounting; simply more detailed than the "Select History".

Future plans include the addition of each new year's rundown and the addition of the years 2005 to the Present as more than the links to those programs at the TFF website.

I hope you find it useful and enjoyable from time to time.



A TFF #45 POSTER APPEARS

I posted it yesterday as a standalone but thought I'd better include it as a part of a regularly scheduled blogpost so here it is...the 2018 Telluride Film Festival poster:



I was alerted to the fact that the poster had appeared on the official Telluride Film Festival website yesterday afternoon via Twitter by MTFB reader J. Scott Pollard.  So this still of it comes directly from there rather than a result of a press release.

Additionally, if you click the link to purchase the poster you'll discover that the artist it Woody Pirtle.  Pirtle is a 74 year old artist who was born in Corsicana, TX according to his bio at his official website Pirtle Design.  The bio goes on to reveal that Pirtle's work has hung in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, The Library of Congress and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London among other institutions.  Pirtle was awarded the AIGA medal in 2003 and the Rome Prize in design in 2015.




THE PROS ARE LINED UP



I am happy to report that a number of industry professionals have agreed again this year to take part in Michael's Telluride Film Blog's critical appraisal of the films that will pay this week at the 45th Telluride Film Festival.

As I have asked that you readers do, I have these kind souls to rate the films that they see on a 1-5 scale.  I'll collate that data and then next week, after the fest is all over, I'll report back the average rating for a bunch of this year's crop.

This year's Pros include writers for Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Indiewire, Awards Daily, Awards Circuit, RogerEbert.com and ScriptMag. com among others.

I'll also include the Professional's data in The Composite Telluride which combines the ratings given by the Pros and The People.  Speaking of which...


THE PEOPLE'S TELLURIDE




For the seventh consecutive year MTFB is soliciting your input for The People's Telluride.  All you have to do is watch films during the fest and then, when it's all over, report to me your assessment of each film on a 1-5 scale with 1 being "UGH!" and 5 being "GREAT".

When the time comes, you can send those ratings to me in any of the following ways listed as contact info for me listed below.



EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com OR michael_speech@hotmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 (and follow me there as well)

FACEBOOK Message me on FB MTFB's Facebook Page

COMMENT TO THE BLOG



No comments: