Thursday, November 15, 2018

One Half Million / Roma Has a New Trailer / Richard E. Grant Talks Can You Ever Forgive Me? / Aretha at a Film Fest Finally

It's a hallmark Thursday for MTFB.

ONE HALF MILLION




That's how many views that Michael's Telluride Film Blog has had.  MTFB crossed that threshold on Wednesday.

500,000 views.

I have said before that I realize that in the larger world of the internet, half a million views is a drop n the proverbial bucket but for a blog run out of my home office in the Panhandle of Oklahoma and which is the absolute definition of a niche site...well...it boggles my mind.  I am 100% fully boggled.

Of course, that demands a "thank you" from me to all of the people who have embraced the thing.  It also amazes me to find out who tells me that they read it when I run into so many of you at the festival each year.

I'd like to be able to tell you that's it's all for you readers but that would be disingenuous.  It's for me and to feed my obsession but it is particularly gratifying that there are so many of you out there that take the time to foster my obsession with your attention.

I can say that if an audience hadn't developed for it over the years (and it's just over a decade that I've been doing the thing...first post was Aug. 8, 2008) that I wouldn't have continued these ramblings.

I hope that over the years and the half a million views that you have enjoyed what has been written here and also found it informative.  Maybe even fun.

Again, thanks all and now on to 1,000,000!


ROMA HAS A NEW TRAILER

Ahead of its release in theaters in a limited Oscar qualifying run on Nov. 21st and its Netflix streaming release on Dec. 14th, Alfonso Cuaron's Roma has a new trailer which was unveiled on Tuesday.

Here that is from YouTube:




I have also linked the Indiewire story reporting on the release of the trailer here.



RICHARD E. GRANT TALKS ABOUT CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?




Writing for The Film Stage Joshua Encinias talked recently with Richard E. Grant who is fantastic as Melissa McCarthy's partner in crime in Marielle Heller's Can You Ever Forgive Me?  The film was embraced warmly by Telluride 2018 patrons including myself.  I personally thought it was in the top five of the films I caught this year at TFF #45 (It finished rated #8 among The People's Telluride, #5 among The Professionals and #5 in The Composite ratings).

Grant's interview can be accessed here.


ARETHA AT A FILM FEST FINALLY



Amazing Grace will finally bow at a film festival it just won't be at Telluride.  After two failed attempts to secure the documentary about Aretha Franklin's legendary live recording of her album Amazing Grace (in both 2015 and 2016) for the Telluride Film Festival, it was announced Tuesday that the film will play as a part of the AFI Fest tonight in Los Angeles.

Wish I was going to be there.

That story from Variety is linked here.



That's your milestone MTFB for this Thursday.  I'll have the start of the next half million views for you on Monday!  Thanks again!


EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com OR michael_speech@hotmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 (and follow me there as well)

FACEBOOK Message me on FB MTFB's Facebook Page

COMMENT TO THE BLOG

No comments: