Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Not an Official Journalist but Still a Guru / Trafficking in Rumor / TFF Is in Men's Journal's Top Ten / Quick Notes

Tuesday.


NOT AN OFFICIAL JOURNALIST BUT STILL A GURU



As many of you know, I was denied "journalist" status for this year's festival.  That happened over three weeks ago.

But, I have been asked back by Movie City News to participate again this year as one their Gurus of Gold.  I'll be tasked with making "educated" predictions for this year's Oscar season.  MCN Guru guru Ray Pride emailed me, as well as other past Gurus, last Thursday.

As you might expect, I accepted the invitation.

I'm not sure yet when the Guru-ing will commence but you can be sure I'll be letting you know here when I do know.

Incidentally, it's also likely that I'll be writing an occasional Oscar-centric article or two for another film-centric web outfit but I'm going to keep that under cover until that's more assured.



TRAFFICKING IN RUMOR



Sooo...I'm relatively certain that I have a line on another film that will be playing the 46th iteration of the Telluride Film Festival.  This is one of those "All the President's Men" things.  I have two independent sources telling me that a film that is currently NOT an expected title, is currently NOT on my latest Ten Bets or Bonus Bets list but IS a film that I mentioned before.

I can also tell you that this mystery film is curiously related to a film that we are very sure will play the fest.

I'm hesitant to name the film without one more piece of corroboration and I'm spooking around for that.

Should the film pan out, it could well be an Oscar player (at least a couple of Oscar prediction sites have the film in their early predictions list).

More as it develops...if it develops.


TFF IS IN MEN'S JOURNAL'S TOP TEN



Men's Journal recently published an article entitled "The 10 Best Summer Festivals in America" and making the list is the one and only Telluride Film Festival.

The article names TFF as "one of the most prestigious" film festivals.

The article also includes the following fests:

Summerfest-Milwaukee, WI.
Taste of Chicago-Chicago, IL.
Vermont Brewers Festival, Burlington, VT.
The Great Taste of the Midwest, Madison, WI.
Made in America Music Festival, Philadelphia, PA.
Feast Portland, Portland, OR.
Wanderlust Festival, Chicago, IL.
Beer, Bourbon and BBQ-Multiple Locations
Newport Folk Festival, Newport, VA.



QUICK NOTES

***The New York Film Fest is supposed to announce the rest of their main slate films today at noon eastern time.  I'll likely post an update here with the ramifications of that announcement as soon as possible.

***Jordan Ruimy wrote at World of Reel yesterday that Agnes Varda's swan song-Varda by Agnes-will play Telluride as well as Toronto and New York.  The NYFF announcement later today may provide a confirmation.  We'll see.

***Deadline reports that Gavin O'Connor's The Way Back (formerly Torrance) starring Ben Affleck has been moved by Warners to March, 2020.  That likely means we can take it off the list of possible films for TFF consideration.


Here's the current Ten Bets with Bonus Bets:


10) The Aeronauts
9) Ford v. Ferrari
8) The Two Popes
7) Pain and Glory
6) Uncut Gems
5) Judy
4) Motherless Brooklyn
3) Marriage Story
2) Portrait of a Lady on Fire
1) Parasite

"Bonus Bets":

Bonus 1) The Truth
Bonus 2) Varda by Agnes
Bonus 3) First Cow
Bonus 4) Family Romance LLC
Bonus 5) Country Music


EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com OR michael_speech@hotmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 (and follow me there as well)

FACEBOOK Message me on FB MTFB's Facebook Page

COMMENT TO THE BLOG


No comments: