Thursday, September 3, 2020

Telluride at Home- My List / What I Would Have Seen / Lists from Others / McCarthy Reminisces / Venice Begins: Hot Films per The Playlist

TELLURIDE AT HOME- MY LIST



Here it is.  My planned viewing over the next few days as the Mrs. and I celebrate the Telluride Film Festival that could not be by re-visiting some of our favorite films that we've seen from TFFs since we began attending in 2006.

I estimate that between the two of us, my wife and I have seen something more than 150 films that have been screened at Telluride over the past 14 years.  From that list, I whittled down to 35+ films and then we both selected 10ish films each.  About half a dozen made both of our lists and then we added two each plus a special addition of Alejandro Inarritu's Babel-the first film we saw in 2006 at TFF #33

Included is my "programming" for the next few days with the caveat that the following is what we intend to do but just like the real Telluride Film Festival...you never know how circumstances will alter your plans.

Drumroll please...

9/3 THURS. BABEL (‘06 #33)
9/4 FRI.         FIRST MAN (‘18  #45), FRANCES HA (‘12 #39)
9/5 SAT.         12 YEARS A SLAVE (‘13 #40), THE DIVING BELL AND THE                                                          BUTTERFLY(‘07 #34), LADY BIRD (‘17 #44)
9/6 SUN. THE ARTIST (‘11 #38), SHAME (‘11 #38), WILD TALES (‘14 #41)
9/7 MON. A SEPARATION (‘11 #38), BIRDMAN (‘14 #41)

BABEL/NETFLIX
FIRST MAN/AMAZON PRIME
FRANCES HA/NETFLIX
12 YEARS A SLAVE/AMAZON PRIME
THE DIVING BELL…/HBO
LADY BIRD/NETFLIX
THE ARTIST/NETFLIX
SHAME/AMAZON PRIME
WILD TALES/AMAZON PRIME
A SEPARATION/AMAZON PRIME
BIRDMAN/AMAZON PRIME


WHAT I WOULD HAVE SEEN





And while we're on the subject of Telluride lists...here's my list of the 10 films from TFF #47's announced list that I would have likely sought out had the fest actually happened and I had been in The Ride (in alpha order):

All In: The Fight for Democracy
Ammonite
The Bee Gees: How Do You Mend a Broken Heart
Charlatan
The Duke
The Father
Mainstream
MLK/FBI
Nomadland
The Truffle Hunters

How about you?  What would you have tried to get in?



LISTS FROM OTHERS



As promised, I am including "Telluride at Home" lists from friends who have responded to me over the last ten days or so.

From MTFB friend Jack Wertzberger:

So here, on an equal level are my top ten since 2006:

Moonlight
4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days
Nebraska
Slumdog Millionaire
Parasite
California Typewriter
Roma
The Lives of Others
Seymour
La La Land

Films I wish I had seen:

He Named Me Malala
Mr Turner
First Cow
Peggy Guggenheim
Love, Cecil
Biggest Little Farm
Eyes of Orson Welles
Judy
Uncut Gems
Carmichael & Shane



Jack's list and mine don't overlap but I can say a ton of his were nearly on mine including near misses: La La Land, Moonlight, Slumdog and Nebraska.

MTFB friend and "tiffgraffer" Rich Young:

As I mourn for many things this year, including TIFF and TFF, I hope you’re well.  Here’s my list of Telluride faves from my years of attendance:
Anomalisa 15
The Artist 11 (with my 9 and 13 year old kids, transfixed in the open air screening)
Best of Youth 03 (fun banter in line with multiple directors over 2 successive midnight screenings)
Blue Is the Warmest Colour 13
The Descendants 11
Dogville 03
Inside Llewyn Davis 13
LadyBird 17
Lost In Translation 03
Son of Saul 15
Under The Skin 13

Rich and I both included Lady Bird and The Artist.

The very kind and thoughtful friend of the blog Chris Schneider:

So here is my list. Some I want to revisit and some I just haven't seen yet. I'm going to settle in this weekend and make my way through the list. 

Frances Ha 2012
Inside Llewyn Davis 2013
Tim's Vermeer 2013
Wild Tales 2014
Foxcatcher 2014
Carol 2015
Hitchcock/Truffaut 2015
Toni Erdmann 2016
Moonlight 2016
The Cotton Club Encore 2017
The Rider 2017
First Man 2018
Portrait of a Lady on Fire 2018
First Cow 2019
Bonus flick in case I'm needing a late night bust of energy: Uncut Gems 2019


Chris and I double up on Frances Ha, Wild Tales and First Man.


And from longtime MTFB reader and friend Patrick Pringle:


Here is the combined list from Patrick and I. It’s a bit weird. In no particular order...

Stories We Tell
The Insult
A Separation
Parasite
Biggest Little Farm
The Descendants
The Lyrebird
Ladybird
Marriage Story
Spotlight

So Patrick and I would be in the same theater for A Separation and Lady Bird.


MC CARTHY REMINISCES



Todd McCarthy, formerly of The Hollywood Reporter and currently of Deadline.com penned a wonderful look back at his time at the Telluride Film Festival on Wednesday.  McCarthy first attended TFF in 1976-that was TFF #3. 

You can find McCarthy's personal walk down The SHOW's memory lane from Deadline linked here.



VENICE BEGINS: HOT FILMS PER THE PLAYLIST



The Venice Film Festival is underway in Italy.  As many MTFB readers know, there has been, especially in the past few years, a significant overlap of films that screen both at Venice and Telluride and that remained true for this Covid-impacted year.

Nearly a quarter of the feature films on TFF's announced list for what would have been TFF #47 are going to screen in some form as a part of the Venetian fest over the next several days.  

The Playlist published a list and descriptions this week (on Monday) of  what they termed "Must see" films.  I culled that article to determine what films the two fests would have shred that made that list and they were:

Mainstream
Nomadland
Mandibules
and from their Honorable Mentions list: Notturno.



EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com

TWITTER @TheMTFB OR @Gort2 

MTFB is published on Mondays and Thursdays

No comments: