Monday, March 16, 2020

Cannes and Covid-19 / Sometimes History Disappears

CANNES AND COVID-19



Speculation and responses to that speculation continue in France regarding the status of the Cannes Film Festival as the Covid-19 pandemic continues.

Some outlets in France have claimed that the decision has already been made and that the 73rd edition of the festival will not go on.  Pushback from fest organizers has been adamant that no decision has been made and ultimately won't be made until April 15th.  That's the day before the official announcement of the slate of films is scheduled to occur.

I have linked three stories regarding the Cannes/Covid-19 situation here:

Reportage from Deadline

The story from Variety

The Hollywood Reporter

The Playlist on Cannes decision happening on April 15th.

Stay tuned...


SOMETIMES HISTORY DISAPPEARS




If you've been reading along recently, you know that I have been closing in on finishing the expanded history of the Telluride Film Festival.  As of my last post I was down to the last four years of the fest to be added and thus completing what has been a nearly three year project (I was back tracking old posts the other day and discovered the first entry of the expanded history for TFF #32 was posted on April 10, 2017).

So, there I was, typing away this past week.  I had gotten TFF #43 and #44 added and had just begun the work to get TFF #45 onto the Expended History page and...I don't know what buttons I pushed...but something happened and the entire Expanded History Part Two since 1996 was gone.  And I mean gone.

Fortunately, after some Google search work and using Google's Cache function, I was able to retrieve all of the text that had been on the History thru TFF #37.  With some work, I was able to resurrect the poster photos for each of the fests from TFF #23 (1996) to TFF #37.

That then  was re-published and should you look at the Expended History this morning you'll see that I have also re-added the work past TFF #37 to include the full entries for TFF #38 through TFF #40.

I'm currently on Spring Break and hermiting it up so I'm going to see if I can finish the project by the end of this week.  And I'll try not to mistakenly repeat the sequence of keystrokes that made the original posts of each TFF magically disappear.


EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 

MTFB is published on Mondays and Thursdays

1 comment:

Scott Pollard said...

Man, what a pain! I'm glad you've salvaged it though!