Wednesday, July 18, 2012

And Then Again.../On Another Note/Master Rating

Good Wednesday Everybody!


AND THEN AGAIN



I started yesterday's post with a lament about how a guy (me) can think he's pretty smart and has something figured out only to find out that....maybe not so much.

If you know me at all, (and if you don't, you're about to find out) you know that the inability to solve that kind of research puzzle drives me insane.  So you won't be surprised that I spent some more time last night and dug deeper...I mean crazy deep.  And that paid off.

I am prepared to say that using the same root information that I stumbled across on Monday that I have a high degree of certainty about a film to play Telluride in September.  Which film?  How certain?

Let's put it this way..."Midnight's Children" will return to the "Ten Bets" list on Monday and it won't be at #10...


"Midnight's Children"

"Midnight's Children" IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714866/

Late additional news... according to IMDb MC is set for an Oct. 26th release in the U.S.and is listed as a selection for Toronto's International Film Festival.  this despite the fact that we're still quite aways from TIFF's official announcement.  Neither of these items diminishes the chances of its Telluride appearance.




ON ANOTHER NOTE


"Stoker" director Chan-wook Park


But just as often as you think you've really hit a home run and figured out a title pretty solidly something else comes along and makes you backtrack elsewhere.  Case in point...I mentioned in Monday's blog that I was re-evaluating whether Chan-wook Park's "Stoker" might be a candidate for Telluride.  I even had a reader tweet and ask why I was re-thinking it as a possibility (for the record, my answer to him was that it's a Fox Searchlight distributed picture and FS doesn't have many films in their fall fest stable and, further, I have a difficult time believing that FS won't be represented at Telluride by 2-3 films...which is also why I still think there's a chance that "The Sessions" will play despite the fact that it debuted at Sundance).

Then, last night, comes word from a story posted at The Playlist that "Stoker" now has a Mar. 1, 2013 release date.  Now, that's not exactly the kind of date that inspires confidence that a studio/distributor thinks they've got a winner on their hands.  So my "Stoker" vibe has dialed back in the space of 48 hours.  I will note, however, that The Playlist also suggests that they still think a fall fest appearance is possible.

Here's that post:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/park-chan-wooks-english-language-debut-stoker-hits-theaters-on-march-1-2013-20120717#.UAbBDmFtrSg

"Stoker's" IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/



MASTER RATING



Word this morning from Rope of Silicon (which perused the release of ratings from the MPAA) that tells us that Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" is ready for fall festivities.  You'll see in the post linked below that "The Master" is rated R for "sexual content, graphic nudity and language".

The rating means it's done!

I've all but decided that it WILL play Venice...too much rumor to deny.  My hope is that like 2-3 films each year that do both Venice and then Telluride (like "A Dangerous Method" and "Shame" last year) that "The Master" will be in that same category.



Here's the ROS post:
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/mpaa-ratings-master-frankenweenie-killing-softly/

You'll also see that Andrew Dominick's "Killing Them Softly" is rated as well...but we knew it was ready as it appeared at Cannes.

"The Master's" IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/


More later...


Follow me on Twitter @Gort2.

"Like" Michael's Telluride Film Blog on Facebook



No comments: