Sunday, September 2, 2018

Re-POST: Saturday Was About Women / Sunday Morning Coming Down / Sunday TBAs

SATURDAY WAS ABOUT WOMEN

It was a rare occasion on Saturday as I actually followed the plan and saw the four films that I had planned.  And the women took center stage.

Roma...I'm afraid I will be the outlier here but for me Roma takes a little too long to get grounded.  The second half is outstanding.  Non-actor Yalitza Aparicio is ridiculously good.

Destroyer...Nicole Kidman kicks ass and takes names.  Gritty and stunning.  Well done.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? ...Delightful and solidly observed.  Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant are marvelous.   I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed this.

The Favourite...Great work from actresses Stone, Wiesz and Colman.  Story lags a bit and honestly, for a film about palace intrigue, I expected more intrigue.

Fox Searchlight Party included moments with Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant who were both lovely:

We meet Melissa McCarthy who is quite fantastic in Can You Ever Forgive Me?




And I talk to Richard E. Grant who is also ridiculously good



That was Saturday.


SUNDAY MORNING COMING DOWN


Plan for tomorrow is limited to catching Jason Reitman's The Front Runner and Joel Edgerton's Boy Erased.  The rest of the day...who knows?



SUNDAY'S TBAs


Herzog
7:30pm: THE FRONT RUNNER, program number 21, Cinephile
SOH
10:30pm: GHOST FLEET, 29, Cinephile
Nugget
10:00pm: BIRDS OF PASSAGE, 34, Cinephile
Masons
9:00am: THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN I’M DEAD, 12, Cinephile
3:45pm: THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, 11, Cinephile (This is not a free show.)
10:00pm: STUDENT PRINTS, 44, Cinephile, (This is not a free show.)
Pierre
9:15am: THE WHITE CROW, 30, Cinephile, Q&A

There you are...

5 comments:

Alyne Strusser said...

I loved Boy Erased (!) and First Man. Front Runner was very good- better than I thought. A lot more than a pic of Hart and Rice. Destroyer, good. Nice twist at the end. My hubby loved it.

Anonymous said...

Don't miss Trial by Fire!!

Michael Patterson said...

Hoping to get it in on Monday

Anonymous said...

Cold War-brilliant!

Alyne Strusser said...

My my favorite so far is The Favourite!