Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recovery/Ratings-Keep 'em Coming/Reverberations

It's Wednesday...

RECOVERY



I was back in my classroom yesterday and getting my "teacher" game back together after nearly a week in the rarefied air of the Telluride Film Festival.  I kind of felt like Robert Redford's character is supposed to be feeling in "All is Lost"- it seemed like I was at sea for a good portion of the morning.

Nevertheless, by  3rd Hr. debate I was motoring on most cylinders and made a mostly cogent lecture happen.  Still, I suspect it will take me until the weekend to fully recover.

KEEP THEM COMING



I've started to get ratings from some of the readers of the blog today and I want to encourage everyone to share their opinions.  Be bold, I say.  I'm asking you to rate every film you saw at TFF#4o on a 0-5 scale (0 meaning awful, 5 meaning fantastic).  I'll put them together and post "The People's Telluride" next week.

You can add your ratings via comment on this blog or email to:

michael_speech@hotmail.com

OR

mpgort@gmail.com

or Tweet them to me on Twitter @Gort2

The Professionals version is about half complete.  My hope is to have that put together by the weekend.

AND THE REVERBERATIONS BEGIN



For anyone who caught "12 Years a Slave" last week in Telluride it will likely come as no shock that its reception is already changing the field and making waves regarding the awards season.  To wit, check out this story that Awards monitoring/predicting site Gold Derby posted yesterday:

http://www.goldderby.com/news/4721/12-years-a-slave-fassbender-brad-pitt-telluride-films-news-13579086.html

I'm already on record (via Twitter) as saying that the Oscar race for this year may already be done because of "12 Years".  I've also already said that I think it may rank in the same canon as Spielberg's "Schindler's List".  I think we'll be talking about this film for decades.

If you couldn't/didn't see it at Telluride, don't miss it when it goes into general release in late October.


Follow/Like Michael's Telluride Film Blog on Facebook.

Follow me on Twitter @Gort2.

More tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALL IS LOST 4
NEBRASKA 4
THE PAST 3
LABOR DAY 1
12 YEARS A SLAVE 5
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS 4
GRAVITY 5
STARRED UP 3
BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR 4
THE UNKNOWN KNOWN 3
UNDER THE SKIN 3
TIM'S VERMEER 5
TRAKS 3
THE WIND RISES 5
PALO ALTO 3

Matt said...

My favorites in rough order were:

Ida - 4.5
Tim's Vermeer - 4
All is Lost - 4
Bethlehem - 4
Nebraska - 3.5
Before the Winter Chill - 3.5
The Lunchbox - 3.5

Didn't see 12 Years a Slave