Friday, June 20, 2014

Start to Judge "The Judge"/Birdman's Eye View/Last Two Great TFF Films I Didn't See at TFF

Welcome to Friday...my last day in Kansas City at The National Speech Tournament...back home to the Oklahoma Panhandle tomorrow...


START TO JUDGE "THE JUDGE"

Last week, I posted that about the Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall starrer "The Judge" which sort up popped up out of nowhere in terms pf Telluride consideration.  However, now that the possibility exists, I'm going to keep an eye on it, at least for awhile.  To that end, yesterday saw a blizzard of stories/posts to coincide with the release of a trailer.  Here it is from YouTube/thejudgemovie.com:



Here are links to a number of stories that ran with the trailer yesterday:

From Rope of Silicon:


Variety:


The Hollywood Reporter:


HitFix:


The Playlist:


"The Judge" hits theaters Oct. 10.

BIRDMAN'S EYE VIEW


via The Playlist


The Playlist also had a story up yesterday about the new Inarritu/Keaton collaboration "Birdman" with new photos AND some crazy speculation that the film might include an amazingly long tracking shot.  Check the story here:



THE LAST TWO GREAT TFF FILMS THAT I DIDN'T SEE AT TFF

This week I've been listing ten great films that I HAVE seen and that DID play at Telluride, but I didn't see them there.  Thus far the list has included "Brokeback Mountain", Amelie", "The Straight Story", "Sling Blade", "Ed Wood", Capote", "Blue Velvet" and "The Lives of Others".  Today's final two additions are:



Backtracking just a bit to 2001 and David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive".  Yes, Lynch made my list three times.  The first time I saw the film I was modestly impressed but it has gotten better every time I've seen it. "Mulholland" is a Lynchian take on the whole world of film making couched in a "murder mystery'.  To my mind, it's the best thing Naomi Watts has ever done.



And 2009, Michael Haneke's masterpiece "The White Ribbon".  Haneke's brilliant black and white meditation on evil and how people can become what they become. It's still one of the most haunting things I've ever seen on a movie screen.


More tomorrow...

Follow/Like Michael's Telluride Film Blog on Facebook and Twitter (@Gort2)

No comments: