Friday, June 9, 2017

Time Tunnel: TFF #26 / State of the Race 2017 Vol. I

Welcome to the first Friday post on some time...


TIME TUNNEL: TFF #26


I'm continuing my on-going step back in time.  Today we go back to the 20th century and the 26th Telluride Film Festival (1999).  This is a part of my project to more accurately document the history of TFF.  Ultimately all of these posts of past Telluride Film Fests will replace the :Selected History" page that currently exists here at MTFB.


TFF 26 occurred from Sept. 3-6, 1999.



Guest Director: Peter Sellars

Tributes:

Catherine Deneuve
David Lynch
Philip Glass

Special Medallion: Arena


SHOWS:

Allah Tantou
Black and White
Bona
The Brian Epstein Story
Dust in the Wind
Dracula
East is East
Falalblas
Farewell, Home Sweet Home
The Girl on the Bridge
Greed
I Could Read the Sky
I'll Take You There



Jesus' Son
Journey to the Sun
Kadosh
Kurt Garron's Karussell
Journey to the Sun
La Garnde Bouffe
Me Myself I
Mifune
My Best Friend
Nothing More than a Woman
Orefu
The Passing
Place Vendome
Princess Mononoke
The Shakedown



The Straight Story
Time Regained
Travellers
The Taeback Mountains
Wisconsin Death Trip


Guests (a partial list):

Ken Burns
Billy Crudup
Catherine Deneuve
Richard Farnsworth
Philip Glass
Werner Herzog
David Lynch
Gary Meyer
Peter Sellars
Ally Sheedy
Adrienne Shelley
James Toback


A personal note: Denueve, Lynch and Glass in town at the same time...OMG!  (and Peter Sellars too...you're killing me!...Farnsworth...Burns...)


STATE OF THE RACE 2017 VOL. I




It's not a secret that one of the factors I look at this far out from the fest is the early line on Oscar contenders from the Oscar prognosticating professionals.

Consequently, when Awards Daily's Sasha Stone starts to turn her attention to the upcoming Oscar race, I pay attention as it may provide valuable insight into the films that will end up making it into the TFF #44 program

Sasha suggests that we keep an eye out for:

The Florida Project'
Wonderstruck


In addition to those two films, Sasha also suggests that we'd be wise to pay attention to clues surrounding these films (that could make The SHOW):

Suburbicon
Battle of the Sexes
The Current War
mother!
Victoria and Abdul
Downsizing


Take a look at Sasha's complete post here.

That's all the news that fits...See you back here on Monday...



EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com OR michael_speech@hotmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 (and follow me there as well)

FACEBOOK Message me on FB MTFB's Facebook Page

COMMENT to the BLOG









No comments: