Wednesday, August 30, 2017

SPECIAL WEDNESDAY POST: The Final Ten (25) Bets for TFF #44 / Downsizing Teaser / What I'm Thinkin' Is... / Rate The Films

Welcome everyone to this special Wednesday post for Michael's Telluride Film Blog...


THE FINAL TEN (25) BETS FOR TFF #44



Here are 25 films that I expect will be announced tomorrow morning at some point by the Telluride Film Festival in order of probability:

1) Downsizing
2) Wonderstruck
3) The Shape of Water
4) Battle of the Sexes
5) Darkest Hour
6) Lady Bird
7) Hostiles
8) Visages/Villages (Faces/Places)
9) Loving Vincent
10) First They Killed My Father
11) A Fantastic Woman
12) The Rider
13) Wormwood
14) First Reformed
15) The Other Side of Hope
16) Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
17) Lean on Pete
18) Loveless
19) The Insult
20) Foxtrot
21) Filmworker
22) The Venerable W
23) Arthur Miller: Writer
24) Before We Vanish
25) The Cotton Club Encore

Also hearing some buzz that some of Ken Burns Vietnam doc may screen as well as Mohammad Rasoulof' A Man of Integrity could play.  I still think You Were Never Really Here, L'Amant Double and Cold War are possibilities.


DOWNSIZING TEASER



Ahead of its World Premiere in Venice, Paramount has released a 30 sec. teaser for Alexander Payne's Downsizing.  Set to to the Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime, the teaser introduces us to the main characters in the film lead by Matt Damon, Kristen Wiig, Christoph Waltz, Laura Dern and Jason Sudekis.

Here's the teaser from YouTube:

And coverage from Indiewire is here.


WHAT I'M THINKIN' IS...



Normally I will get in 10-13 films in the course of the weekend.  That could be different this year because my pass level is a little different and so I'm uncertain how much that will shake up what I can see, when and where.

That said...here are the films I'd personally like to see in order of preference...and keep in mind, that could change depending on the buzz around town as the weekend unfolds.

1) The Shape of Water
2) Downsizing
3) Battle of the Sexes
4) Hostiles
5) Wonderstruck
6) Darkest Hour
7) Lady Bird
8) Loving Vincent
9) Wormwood
10) Visages/Villages
11) Lean on Pete
12) Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
13) First They Killed My Father
14) Filmworker
15) Arthur Miller: Writer
16) The Rider
17) A Fantastic Woman

Honestly, I like to see The Cotton Club Encore as well and I know that Wormwood may be problematic if they program all six episodes.

But this all is likely to go out the window when we get the actual schedule.  Tributes will be key. Speaking of which, I'm already on record that I think two of them will be Christian Bale and Ed Lachman.  The third...call me crazy...Saoirse Ronan (who is in Lady Bird and is a voice in Loving Vincent).

If I were hedging my bet...Sally Hawkins.

We might still see another film announcement from Toronto.  It was rumored yesterday and is rumored again today.


 JOIN MTFB AND RATE THOSE FILMS



Don't forget, my friends, I want your ratings of the films you see next weekend.  Use a 0-5 scale with 0 being "putrid" and 5 being "best film since..."


Have a great weekend and get rested up for next week.  More on Monday!

EMAIL:  mpgort@gmail.com OR michael_speech@hotmail.com

TWITTER @Gort2 (and follow me there as well)

FACEBOOK Message me on FB MTFB's Facebook Page

COMMENT TO THE BLOG


No comments: