Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Birdman Has Premiered in Venice/Already Thinking Oscar/Sound on Sight Takes a Stab/Scott Feinberg Talks Telluride TODAY!/Remember to Rate/SHOW in the Park

Good Wednesday Everyone...

The Patterson Express to Telluride, Colorado departs the station later today.  The CEO and I will make about 2/3 of the journey this afternoon/evening and then finish the drive into The 'Ride tomorrow morning. We have plans and errands that must be completed Thursday before the whole shebang kicks off on Friday morning with the Patron brunch...

FINAL "TEN BETS" LIST...

I'll be posting my final "Ten Bets" on the road tomorrow morning.  I hope I'm ahead of the curve here.  Last year, the full lineup was leaked way early and if that happens again tonight or early tomorrow morning the final Ten Bets will become superfluous really fast.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

"BIRDMAN" HAS PREMIERED IN VENICE



As I type this, reports and reviews are coming in for Alejandro Inarritu's "Birdman" starring Michael Keaton and the general tenor seems to be overwhlemingly positive...some bordering on ecstatic.  I'm staying away from reading the body of reviews as I want to experience the film, should it play in Telluride, with as clean a pallette as I can muster...


ALREADY THINKING OSCAR



Movie City News has its first Gurus of Gold up for the 2014-15 edition of Oscar.  Gold Derby has also weighed in with a pre-festival stab at guessing which films Oscar will favor this year.  MCN's Gurus list David Fincher's "Gone Girl", Alejandro Inarritu's "Birdman", Angelina Jolie's "Unbroken" and Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" all tied in the top spot.  Meanwhile, the Gold Derby handicappers have  "Boyhood" with the best odds to win Best Picture.

From the MCN Gurus, other probable Telluride films listed in consideration for Best Picture are: "Foxcatcher", "Wild", "The Imitation Game", "Mr. Turner" and "Rosewater".

Gold Derby lists: "Foxcatcher", "Birdman", "Wild", "The Imitation Game", "Mr. Turner", "The Homesman" and "Rosewater".

Added note:  Gold Derby also lists "Whiplash" which, while not on my list of likely T-ride films, persistently shows up in predictions by others as a Telluride possibility.

Links to The Gurus of Gold:

http://moviecitynews.com/2014/08/gurus-o-gold-pre-venicetelluridetoronto-best-picture-field/

And to Gold Derby:

http://www.goldderby.com/handicapping/oscars-2014-nominations-nominations/best-picture.html


SOUND ON SIGHT TAKES A STAB



Soundonsight.org provides an overview of the Telluride Film Festival and makes some guesses about films they feel might play.  Here's what they get wrong: "Unbroken", "Queen of the Desert", "The Theory of Everything" and "Winter Sleep".  They get a couple right.  Take a look here:

http://www.soundonsight.org/telluride-film-festival-2014-most-anticipated/


SCOTT FEINBERG TALKS TELLURIDE TODAY!



Scott Feinberg of  The Hollywood Reporter will be talking Telluride today for The Huffington Post.  I expect he'll have a pretty good bead on what's likely to play at this year's fest so you might want to tune in.  The link for that is here:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/for-your-consideration-telluride-film-festival-/53f7b5d602a760387000018e


REMEMBER TO RATE



Now that we're down to Telluride week, here's your reminder...Don't forget to join in on "The People's Telluride".  Rate the films you see this week on a 0-5 scale ( 0 being just abysmal and 5 being a masterpiece).  You can rate each day or do them all at the end of the fest.  Send film ratings to me via Twitter (@Gort2) or email me at michael_speech@hotmail.com or in the comments section of this blog.



I'll collect all of that data and post the collective ratings from we, The People.


SHOW IN THE PARK



Two or three local websites out of Telluride posted late yesterday that the Roger Ebert documentary "Life Itself" will be shown in Elks Park on Thursday night (so, it finlly shows at Telluride a year after I was just certain that it would...I don't get 'em all).  Those films are often a harbinger of one of the Tributes. But for the life of me, I can't quite figure this thing out.  I have my ear to the ground on this one and if I get it puzzled out, I'll let you know in tomorrow's post...or Friday's...

Here's the Facebook post from The Telluride Festivarian with the lowdown on the Thursday presentation:

https://www.facebook.com/TellurideFestivarian/posts/755101827880993


More tomorrow from the road to Telluride...


Follow me on Twitter @Gort2



No comments: