Monday, June 25, 2012

Ten Bets/Sessions/DiCaprio in Django/New Segment


Good Monday Everybody!

TEN BETS

Last year about this time I began a weekly list of what I felt like the 10 most likely films to turn up at the Telluride Film Festival.  Here's what that first list for the 38th fest looked like:

1) The Descendants***
2) The Artist***
3) The Kid with a Bike***
4) Young Adult
5) Le Havre***
6) A Trip to the Moon***
7) Gazing Into the Abyss***
8) Dark Horse
9) We Have to Talk About Kevin***
10) Shame***

The triple*** indicates films that actually DID play at Telluride...8 of 10...which I thought was pretty good (still do) and I'll be very pleased if I can do that well again this year.  So here it is, my first "Ten Bets" list for the 39th Telluride Film Festival:


[Amour Trailer]


1) Amour
2) Rust and Bone
3) Beyond the Hills
4) Hyde Park on Hudson
5) Song for Marion
6) No
7) Midnight's Children
8) The East
9) Something in the Air
10) On the Road

[Rust and Bone trailer]

On this list are a good sample of Cannes successes, and/or past connections to Telluride at the production, distribution or directing levels.  I'll have a new "Ten Bets" next Monday as it will evolve based on what info I can turn up.


THE SESSIONS



It's no secret that I have begun mentioning that I'd like the TFF programmers to bend their "rule" concerning films and their North American premieres in the case of what has now become entitled "The Sessions" (it was "The Surrogate" then "Six Sessions").  "The Sessions" was one of the two biggest buzzed films from Sundance, the other being "Beasts of the Southern Wild".

I'm pulling for the kind of decision that was made in the case of "An Education" in 2009 as it was programmed despite having dropped at Sundance earlier in the year.

Now admittedly, "An Education" probably benefited from being under the direction of Lone Scherfig who had appeared previously at Telluride in 2001.

I'm holding onto some hope that it could happen because it's under the Fox Searchlight banner and they're slate of films going into the fall is relatively limited.  Fox Search normally is fairly represented during TFF.

So, I'm hoping...

Rope of Silicon has a post up from late last week concerning the film:
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movie/sessions/


LEO'S NEW PIC FROM DJANGO



And, again, chances that we'd see a Tarantino film in Telluride are mighty small, but I am excited that "Django" will be out Christmas Day.  Here's a new photo of DiCaprio via The Playlist:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/new-pipe-smoking-image-of-leonardo-dicaprio-in-django-unchained-20120625

NEW SEGMENT

Check out the new page I have added that details a select timeline/history for the Telluride Film Festival.  Just click the tab above.

More later...


Follow me on Twitter @Gort2




No comments: