Friday, August 21, 2015

Telluride Ten Bets (Plus Five) #9 / New Looks for Fukunaga's "Beasts of No Nation" / The Changing World of Online Film Writing / Rate TFF #42 Films!

We finally get to Friday...


TELLURIDE TEN BETS #9 (PLUS FIVE)




Here's your weekly assessment of the ten most likely films for the Telluride Film Festival beginning with a reminder of last week's Ten Bets:

10) "Amazing Grace"
9) "He Named Me Malala"
8) "Steve Jobs"
7) "Suffragette"
6) "Carol"
5) "Room"
4) "Beasts of No Nation"
3) "Anomalisa"
2) "Black Mass"
1) "Son of Saul"


And now here's the ninth 2015 installment of Ten Bets (plus five)

15) "Heart of a Dog"
14) "Rams"
13) "Hitchcock/Truffaut"
12) "Spotlight"
11) "Amazing Grace"
10) "45 Years"
  9) "Carol"
  8) "He Named Me Malala"
  7) "Steve Jobs"
  6) "Anomalisa"
  5) "Room"
  4) "Suffragette"
  3) "Beasts of No Nation"
  2) "Black Mass"
  1) "Son of Saul"

I think I have one other film nailed down and that's the documentary "Tyrus" that I mentioned earlier this week.  After that...

I have a list of three documentaries that could make a play in Telluride: "A Young Patriot", "Sherpa" and "Winter on Fire".  

Here's the trailer for "A Young Patriot" via YouTube:



Here's a four and a half minute profile of "Sherpa" with director Jennifer Peedom:


                                       


And an image from "Winter on Fire":



IMDb pages for each are here...





NEW LOOKS FROM FUKUNAGA'S "BEASTS OF NO NATION"



Trailer for "Beasts of No Nation" via YouTube


 There's a good deal of buzz about Cary Fukunaga's "Beasts of No Nation" which is at the #3 spot on the latest "Ten Bets" list above.  I'm hearing that it may be hit with the same level of intensity as Steve McQueen's Best Picture Oscar winner "12 Years a Slave".  That's some pretty bold talk which I'd love to see pay off in a couple of weeks.

The Wrap put up a story this week which included a number of unified character posters.  I have re-posted them here:





You can peruse the entire post from The Wrap here:



THE CHANGING WORLD OF ONLINE FILM WRITING




It was a shock this week when Brad Brevet of Rope of Silicon posted that he was done.  I have linked to that sight for this blog many, many times and I am saddened that a resource that's has been useful for me and my readers disappears.  You can find Brevet's sign off here:





Meanwhile, on the same day, Kristopher Tapley, whose InContention recently departed from HitFix posted on the tenth anniversary of its founding and the fact that he's about to start his latest iteration at Variety.com.  Here's his meditation:



Sometimes I daydream about making this enterprise bigger...expanding to cover as many as 6-10 major film fests through the course of the year and their subsequent effect on awards season.  But then I look at the landscape and see how tough it is and think: "Buddy, you're just fine the way you are".

Glad there are some peeps who read me.

Speaking of Peeps...


For the fourth straight year Michael's Telluride Film Blog is asking you to join in rating the films you see at the fest.  I want your input as I gather your ratings on a 1-5 scale.  You can email them or tweet them or put them in a comment on this blog.  I'll compile and a week or so after the fest, I'll report to you what you, The People (The Peeps), thought about the films that play TFF #42.

I'll also be compiling ratings from some of the industry professionals that'll be in town for the festivities as well.  Included in this year's pros will be writers from Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, IndieWire, Awards Daily and more.


That's a wrap for Friday, Aug. 21, 2015.  Enjoy the weekend and come back Monday for more MTFB!

Please feel free to leave a comment or question here at the blog.

Email me at michael_speech@hotmail.com or mpgort@gmail.com

Tweet/Follow at me @Gort2 on Twitter

You can also message me on Facebook (and "Like" me too)


https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michaels-Telluride-Film-Blog-and-The-Film-Awards-Clearinghouse/107846269309712




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Toronto getting the world premiere of Amazing Grace? It's been all over the trades. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for all your bets and detective work. -filmbuff83

Michael Patterson said...

Hello Anon..

I'm very comfortable predicting "Amazing Grace" to play Telluride. The producer who finished the film at Sidney Pollack's request has been quoted as saying it is and the L.A. Times, which originally reported that it would premiere at Toronto has since gone back in a later story to say Telluride was likely. Further, Toronto lists it as an "International Premiere" meaning it will have played outside of Canada prior to its screening there. T-ride is really the only option for that to be true. Finally, Jeff Wells/Hollywood Elsewhere reported the Telluride play last night:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/08/pollacks-long-submerged-aretha-franklin-doc-playing-telluride-first/

I'm very confident.